Here are a few tips in choosing a contractor who is right for you.
1. Be sure they are licensed. Ask for their license number. You can visit the Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors, www.lslbc.louisiana.gov, to verify the license is current.
2. Be sure they are insured for both general liability and workmen’s compensation. Ask to have verification sent directly from the insurance company to be sure the insurance is current.
3. Interview the contractor. Ask questions about the renovation process. Consider what may be important to you during this process, and ask how the contractor will approach these issues.
Consider the communication process between you and the contractor and whether he listens to and addresses your concerns.
4. Get references from the contractor. Be sure to call the references. Ask to see both active and completed job sites. This will allow you to see their work as well as how jobs sites are kept.
5. Finally, consider the price. We believe this should be a last consideration since, if the other factors are not in place, the lowest price will not give you a satisfactory renovation experience.